Eye Retainers or Orthokeratology (OrthoK) is a specially shaped contact lens that is worn overnight to gently correct nearsightedness back to normal 20/20 vision.
OrthoK has many names including:
- Gentle Vision Reshaping
- Gentle Cornea Reshaping
- Cornea Reshaping Technology
- LASIK without surgery
As you can probably tell from the names above, Eye Retainers involves reshaping your cornea! A great comparison are teeth retainers in that they are a mold that you wear overnight to keep your cornea or teeth aligned. But you need to understand a couple of ocular terms before you continue…
- Cornea – the front tissue of the eye. Clear in appearance and sits in front of your iris (the colored part of your eyes).
- Emmetropia – no prescription (0). When light is focused in emmtropic eyes, it is perfectly focused on the retina (back tissue of the eye.)
- Myopia (nearsightedness) – myopic eyes have a more curved cornea than emmetropic eyes; this results in light being focused inside of the eye.
Now, OrthoK technology is an FDA approved modern non-surgical contact lens. The OrthoK lens involves gently reshaping a myopic eye to an emmtropic eye overnight.
Here are 10 interesting points about OrthoK lenses:
- No Surgery!
- Worn OVERNIGHT only! And FDA approved!
- The highly oxygen permeable contact lens allows overnight wear!
- Freedom from OrthoK lenses, Glasses or Contact lenses during the day!
- If you miss a night, it does not mean your vision goes back to your original vision!
- Cleaning and storing does not require much extra time!
- Latin meaning: “ortho” = straight, and “keratology” = the science of altering the shape of the cornea.
- Approved for all ages, including children.
- Allows great field of view and no distortions!
The OrthoK lenses are also a great option for dry eyes patients / sufferers, allergy sufferers, and others who require a glasses free or contact lens free solution during the day (athletes, factory workers, water related occupations / hobbies – ie. scuba diving).